Monday 10 June 2013

Hymn and Scripture Challenge #8 - Faith of Our Fathers

Happy Monday, my friends!
I am finally back into the swing of things after taking a much needed break. I want to thank you all for your sweet words and wishes regarding my daughter's wedding! It was a really beautiful day and all went just as planned! I opted to leave my camera at home and just treasure every moment. The official photos aren't in yet but others are sharing, and I will add one of my favorites at the end of this post!
Today I have a new Hymn and Scripture Challenge page for you. The hymn is called Faith of Our Fathers. It's a very familiar hymn to me and I have sung it many times. As I was going through the videos to find one to share, my husband remarked how sad the song sounded. He pointed out that it sounded like a song one would play at a funeral. You know what? He was right! Most of the copies did indeed sound very somber! If you look at the words to the hymn you see that although it does include some somber thoughts, it has a message of encouragement and hope. As it says in Hebrews 11 verse 1:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Here are the words to the song. Only one version I found had all four verses. The second verse is the one that was usually missing:

  1. Faith of our fathers, living still,
    In spite of dungeon, fire, and sword;
    Oh, how our hearts beat high with joy
    Whene’er we hear that glorious Word!
    • Refrain:
      Faith of our fathers, holy faith!
      We will be true to thee till death.

      Our fathers, chained in prisons dark,
      were still in heart and conscience free;
      And blest would be their children's fate,
      If they, like them should die for Thee.
  2. Faith of our fathers, we will strive
    To win all nations unto thee;
    And through the truth that comes from God,
    We all shall then be truly free.
  3. Faith of our fathers, we will love
    Both friend and foe in all our strife;
    And preach thee, too, as love knows how
    By kindly words and virtuous life.


For my page I used the Scripture found in Romans 4:20-21. These verses talk about Abraham...one of our great "fathers" of faith. It says:


"Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, 
but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, 
being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised."

A wonderful note in my bible says: "Whereas works are man's attempt to establish a claim on God, faith brings glory to Him." Isn't that beautiful, and isn't that what we want...to bring glory to God? So let's live a life of faith, KNOWING that God will do ALL that He has promised us, and giving ALL the glory to Him! :o)


My page is very simple as the paper does most of the work. I used one of my favorite Martha Stewart Punch Around the Page sets. I fussy cut a few butterflies from a coordinating paper and added them. For the Scripture spot I did some playing with my Cricut E2. The title was also cut on the Cricut. Then I added the pearls and my page was finished!


Materials Used:
Papers: Susan Winget Nature by K and Company,
Recollections Cardstock;
Punches: Martha Stewart  Punch Around the Page - Wildflowers;
Cricut Cartridges: Alphabet, Essentials;
Stamp: Studio G - Faith;
Ink: Martha Stewart - Stem Green, Distress Ink - Vintage Photo;
Pearls, Gold Metallic Gel Pen: My Stash.

I used a gold pen to add some detail to all of the butterflies. You can see it a little bit in this photo:


Linking Up To:




* * * * *

Here is a lovely version of the hymn:



* * * * *

Okay, onto some details of the big day! After the ceremony we all went to a nearby park for formal portraits. It was such a beautiful day! When these were finished the bridal party went on to have more photos taken at a pool hall and a fifties diner. I think I've mentioned that Andrea is totally into retro! I've seen a couple of the photos and they are so fun! I hope to share some of those with you too. In the meantime, here is one of me with my girls!



That's it for today! So sorry for the super long post! It looks like I've missed you all! lol Thanks for hanging in to the end! I hope to be back soon with more of something! Have a wonderful week! :o)

19 comments:

Karen Letchworth said...

Is Andrea the daughter that got married? I ask because I also have an Andrea (my older daughter) who is 26. My other daughter, Alicia, is 20.

Your layout is just lovely. Thanks SO MUCH for stopping by to share with us again this week, Nancy. You are such a faithful participant on our blog and have been for so long. It means A LOT to me, and I pray that God will bless you as you create and share.

Looks like it was a gorgeous wedding and a beautiful day. Something I look forward to.

Hugs,
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

Marilyn said...

Nice pic of you and the girls Nancy and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the big day!
This page is really nice. It looks so calm and peaceful with those pretty colours combined. Love all the pearls too.

Tfriday said...

Great page and hymn. I also want to complement the lovely picture of you and daughters. I remember my wedding day. It's busy and an instant it's over. Can't wait to see more pics. TFS... Hugs!!

alexandra s.m. said...

what a great post!
I enjoy your art and that precious picture of the three of you!
TFS dear Nancy!

Jonia said...

Nancy what a beautiful post. I love the verse you chose and I love, love your page! Just beautiful. And, I can tell those are your daughter's as they look a lot like you especially the bride. Beautiful picture and beautiful children!

Susan M said...

Nancy , you all look so beautiful ! How happy you look ! Love all the dresses and the flowers are so beautiful, hope we get to see some more! Your post on the hymn is lovely. The hymn did seem a bit gloomy to me but you have put a different perspective on it. Your page is beautiful love the colours in the paper and that gorgeous punch! Glad to have you back !

~Tammy~ said...

Oh your card is stunning, but this time your family photo steals the blog post! Love love it all! Blessings!

Geri said...

Love the soft patterns and pretty colors of your background paper, Nancy! That MS punch really looks so nice with it! Love the simple dimension the butterflies add, too! The photo is so SO nice! You ALL look beautiful and it does look like it was a perfect day! So glad you shared! Great to have you back!

Stephanie said...

What a beautiful page! I love this hymn and while it is somber it is a great reminder to carry on the Faith of our Fathers. We have something in common - our daughter got married last month. Exciting and precious times aren't they? Thanks for joining us again at Word Art Wednesday.

Pop's Cards said...

Hi sweetie...

This is just gorgeous...

Loving the colours...

Huggles Pops x x x

Embellishments said...

Hi Nancy, beautiful page design with pretty papers... love the journal spot, front and center :-)
The picture of your and girls is GORGEOUS! You all are, and what a beautiful bride :-) I wish them happiness and all of God's blessing throughout their marriage.
Thanks for the lovely comments on my blog :-)
Hugs, Steff

Unknown said...

SUch a beautiful wedding photo Nancy, you all look lovely! What a great card this is, with those beautifully coloured butterflies and wonderful scripture, such beautiful letters in themselves, too! Hugs, Ira
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

Tracy said...

My poor Cricut lives in its prison box. :-( I almost got it out recently but remembered the CD drive on my puter went out so I couldn't reinstall my software for the designer. So... his parole got denied. He might be a bad one since he stays in solitary confinement so much. hee hee Anyway, I think the cuts you used look beautiful on your page. That perfect manuscript writing of yours makes me smile every time I see it. :-) As for the photo. I'll say it again--beautiful ladies. Hugs!

Holly said...

Three beautiful girls!!!

Susi said...

I love the bible scripture! So beautiful. The card wasn't so bad either. =) I loved it! and the picture of you and your girls? Precious! My baby girl is going to be 16 next week and I want her to stop growing so I can't imagine her any older! LOL! Congrats my friend!

StampArt Design by Kathryne said...

The hymn and card are lovely Nancy. The papers and butterflies are especially pretty but the photo of you and your daughters is gorgeous! Praise God for what looks like the perfect weather. Your colours are so pretty. Lovely smiles. Thanks for sharing. xx Kathy

Jennifer said...

This is so beautiful ! The lovely border and butterflies are stunning with the wonderful colour swirling throughout! Praise God for godly men who point us to the Saviour Christ Jesus the Lord!

TLady said...

WHAT A LOVELY PAGE!!!!!!!! AND You & your daughters look GREAT!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS TO THE BRIDE!!!!!!!!! :) JUST BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Ruth said...

Hi Nancy: How have you been? I am just dropping a line to say hello. You and your daughters look lovely. Hope all is well.
Take care
Ruthie

Blog Archive