Friday 30 September 2011

Black, White, and Read All Over Challenge

Here's the completed challenge that I mentioned in yesterdays post. This is Diva Pammie's challenge over at the Creative Scrapbooking Divas. You can read all about it HERE. The rules are:
*MUST use colors black, white, & red only, with red only being about 20% of the layout.
There was an Option A, but I went with...
*Option B: Use a pattern paper with a newspaper print or feel to it. Not a letter, but dictionary pages are okay.
My problem with this challenge was that I had no paper with a newspaper print or feel to it...so I had to make it from scratch. It was lots of fun to do and I think it looks pretty good. I opted to decorate a frame. I was inspired by a wonderful project we did in my Splurge Group, and also by Diva Jessica. The first thing I did was adhere a piece of white cardstock to the wooden frame. I suspect it may have been smarter to stamp the cardstock before adhering it, in case a big mistake was made, but that didn't occur to me until later! lol I trimmed the extra paper away, cut out the center, then filed and sanded all the edges smooth. Then I gathered all the various word stamps that I wanted to use and just randomly stamped them with black ink. I made sure to stamp off the edge all around the piece. When it was all finished I did a light inking of gray ink over the stamping so it looked more news-printy, and an inking of black around the edges. I then made some red flowers with my new Slice Design Card. Looks like about 20% to me...give or take! I had a great time with this challenge! A couple of the words could be a lot straighter but that's okay, right? :o)
Ink: Stampin' Up: Basic Black, Basic Gray;
MM Slice Design Card: Basics 2;
Stamps: CTMH, 7 gypsies, Prima,
Inkadinkado, Pink Paislee, K & Company,
MME Lost & Found, Kimberly Poloson;
Unknown: Cardstock and Brads.

7 comments:

Tfriday said...

Wow, love your background, Nancy. That must of taken awhile to do but all worth it at the end. It doesn't have to be straight. Great challenge. TFS... Hugs.

Tracy said...

Now aren't you just the clever one! That was a fantastic way to create your own "printed" background. I just see your creativity growing in leaps and bounds my friend! Makes me smile. SEE! :-)

Jonia said...

What a wonderful background you have made. I just love how it looks store bought! Great job!

Jacilynn said...

super cute! i love print on a card.
cheers

Jennifer said...

This is so awesome! I love how you made your own "newsprint" with all those great stamps! The red flowers are a wonderful 20%

Geri said...

How creative, Nancy! Love the look of this and how those flowers "glow" on your background. Your Christmas box on the previous post gets me excited for the holidays--SO PRETTY! And your card made with the goodies from your friend--for me--is a favorite! Everything on it looks perfect together!! Hope you are doing well! So good to hear from you on my blog! I have missed visiting and creating, but I think the next couple weeks look to hold a little more time for both. Nursing home visit on Thursday--preparing for that today!!

Luisa said...

Nancy, what a great creation. Thanks for playing with the Divas! We will choose a winner for this challenge tomorrow. sorry for the delay!!!

Blog Archive