Wednesday 12 May 2021

Review of the Mini Maker Machine

 Hello, my friends!

I'm back today to share another fun product review! 

You may remember my review of the Crossover II Machine that I posted HERE.
This full-size die-cutting machine is fantastic and I use it all the time.

Today I'm sharing the MiniMaker Die Cutting Machine.
This mini machine is another fabulous product from Maker's Movement.

Years ago I actually owned a different mini die-cutting machine. 
I used it for a while but I eventually sold it.
I found that the size was just too limiting. 

This MiniMaker is a definite keeper!
Although it is only slightly bigger than my previous machine,
the size difference makes all the difference. 

It's time to get to a photo, so you know what I'm talking about!


Isn't that adorable?
This machine measures 6 inches across with the handle.
It's almost 4 1/2 " tall and 4 1/2" deep across the base.

There are four suction cups attached to the base.
You simply apply pressure to the top of the machine,
and it will stick to the smooth even surface underneath it. 


Several items are included in the box with the machine.
First, there are four plates included:
one A plate, two B plates, and a metal plate.
These plates all measure 3" x 8 1/2".
These plates all have a purpose.
The A plate is slightly thicker than the B plate.
Also included in the box are three cutting dies:
a "thanks" word die, and two teardrop shaped deep etch dies.
There is also a small instruction booklet, that you will see in a later photo.


The box itself includes some good information.
Here is what it is compatible with:


Here is a list of the media it will cut:.


I couldn't wait to try it out.
I began with the word die that was included.
I made my plate sandwich as instructed in the instruction book,
and ran it through the machine.
It cut the regular cardstock as easy as can be.
I love it when all the little bits fall out of a cut.


Then I went on to cut the same die with some of my thickest cardstock.
Again, it cut beautifully.


Next, I tried an embossing folder.
This is the reason for the two B plates; the embossing folder goes between them.
It rolled through the machine very easily, and did a great job with the emboss.


The teardrop dies are deep etch dies,
so I knew that they would cut the burlap easily...which they did.
I then picked some flower dies from one of my regular Maker's Movement die sets.
The flower die also cut the burlap smoothly and cleanly.
This really impressed me because when cutting burlap you can get fuzzy edges.
Then I also tried a regular flower die on a corrugated piece of card.
Again, a nice smooth and clean cut.
Finally, I cut a piece of felt using the flower die, and also had great results.


Now I'd like to share a few more
 thoughts about this machine. 
I REALLY like it very much.
Not only is it adorable but it works great!
I appreciate that it is so smooth and rounded.
It doesn't have edges and creases that can fill up with paper bits and dust.
It will be very easy to keep it clean.

The handle turns very easily. 
When I needed a little more leverage to cut something thicker,
I simply put my hand on the top of the machine, 
while I was rolling the plates through,
just like I do with all my larger die cutting machines.

My first cuts were made with the machine placed on an old wood table.
It's not really a smooth surface, and I confess that it might have been dusty. ;o)
Midway through the die-cutting the machine moved.
However, it was very simple to apply pressure to the top and have the suction re-activated. 
It stayed tightly stuck when I used it on my normal glass working surface.

I should mention price when doing a thorough review, right?
This machine is right on par with other small die-cutting machines.
I think the regular price is very reasonable for all the benefits it offers.
However, Maker's Movement often has great sales.
So you can watch for that and get a real bargain!

Though this machine is small,
 the size of the plates actually accommodate a very large variety of dies. 
I will tell you that the machine I mentioned previously had plates of 2 1/2" x almost 5".
The extra 1/2" in with, along with the extra 3" in length,
make this machine much more useful.

As it weighs less than three pounds, it's also easy to take with you to a crop,
a friends house, or another room.
I don't lug my large machines around.
They are set up in a die-cutting station and they stay there.
I can even see using this one in front of the tv to die-cut a bunch of flowers.
 
As someone who has always stood to create projects,
I recently decided to try setting up a sitting work space.
(Age has nothing to do with this decision! lol)
This sweet MiniMaker will be sitting on the corner of my work table.
In fact, I just finished making a card,
and I did it all sitting down, and with this machine.
I'll share that card in a couple of days. 

All that being said,
I highly recommend this MiniMaker Die Cutting Machine.
I'll be using it often in my upcoming projects!

* * * * * 
Thanks so much for stopping by!
I'll be back soon with another fun project,
or perhaps another product review!

* * *

Here are all the Maker's Movement links for you:

Maker's Movement Facebook 

2 comments:

Teresa Arsenault said...

Great review.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Well done on your review Nancy. I love my little machine, I think it's used more than my big one :)
Faith x

Blog Archive